Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I.AM.A.TRIATHLETE.

I can swim.
I can cycle.
I can run.

Last September, my friend invited me to participate in the Cold Storage Singapore International Triathlon 2013.

I can swim.
I can cycle.
I can run.

I thought why not? Sounds fun. I signed up for the easiest category - Mini Open Women Category.


First of all, I had to overcome my fear of swimming in the open sea. Going for a cruise had never been my idea of a holiday. Blame it on the movie "Jaws". Blame it on "Titanic". But I never liked the idea of not being able to touch the floor or not knowing what is floating around my legs... 


On the day of my open water trial, the waves were cruel. I was the first gal in the pic. The waves kept coming into my face. The salt water I swallowed would have been enough to cure any throat infection. We had to swim towards the buoy and turned back after touching it. I felt like I was going to touch the ships...


When I received my number bib - "2013"; I knew that it was going to be a good race. On the day of the race, the sea was calm. Weather was good. I was feeling very high! I repeated the YouTube videos I've watched to prepare myself for the race, over and over again in my mind. Set up my transition the way I saw in the video.


No cleats. No race belt. No tri-suit. No competitors. My goal was to overcome my fear and to stretch my physical abilities.

I swam 200m.
I cycled 10km.
I ran 2km.


Who cares if it was only a mini category... And it didn't matter how slow or fast I was.

"I.AM.A.TRIATHLETE." and it was only the beginning :)


Since then, I have participated in...
- OCBC Cycle Malaysia 2014
- OCBC Cycle Singapore 2014
- Aquathlon (swim+run) by MetaSprint Series Singapore
- Duathlon (run+bike+run) by MetaSprint Series Singapore
- Triathlon (swim+bike+run) by MetaSprint Series Singapore

I am looking forward to my next series of races where I would be moving from mini category to sprint category. Watch this space for my race updates.




No comments:

Post a Comment