Friday, December 11, 2015

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2015

Every race is unique. SCMS was my 2nd marathon. I have heard many horrid stories about SCMS... About how people would collapsed due to dehydration and heat stroke... how the people would bottle neck at the end... how the crowd would end up walking just to complete a marathon etc etc...

But all these did not stop me from signing up because, after all, it's a national marathon :) I liked the tag line - Race As One.

I had up to 12 weeks to prepare for Sundown. However, due to holidays and unforeseen circumstances, I had a crash course to prepare myself for SCMS. Did mainly squats, leg drills, sprints and lunges to prepare the legs. The race plan for SCMS was different from Sundown.


Things I did differently for SCMS:
- I did not clock any long run prior to the race. The longest distance I did was 10km a day, which I did consecutively for 3 days for a charity run.
- I did a lot of leg works to strengthen the legs. If I cannot run fast, I needed to make sure that, at least, my legs could carry me for 6 hours.
- I ran with a HRM. I usually only wear my Garmin for time and pace, but this time I decided to let my HR lead me.
- I ran without music.
- I stopped and drank 2 cups of water at every aid station. My usual run would be 2 cups every 10km. But I knew that I would need that extra water later in the run...
- I applied sunblock on my face :) Yes, you heard it right... I usually ignore the sunblock part... But knowing that the sun might be merciless, I decided not to take any chances.


The day before the run, a friend sent me the weather forecast! I was excited to see "thunderstorm" and "mostly cloudly". That was good news :) Running in the rain would be fun!


Sad to say, the weather forecast failed... The rain came but too late...at about 12.30 p.m. But I guessed for anyone that endured the sun till noon to complete a marathon deserved the rain more :)


I only had 3 words to describe SCMS; HOT! HOTTER! and HOTTEST! SCMS 2015 concluded my race plan for this year.


Whether you ran sub-4, sub-5 or sub-6... Whether you were decked out in full 2XU gear or just plain run tee and shorts... The tagline for this year was Run As One. I probably forgot how I suffered under the hot sun because somewhere inside of me was looking forward to SCMS 2016 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment